Friday, March 29, 2013

Pre-Summer School Study Time with My Darling K

The school year is just around the corner - and we also plan to send my little K to summer school (overload na ba?) to prep her for what comes ahead. We did it last year, and she had loads of fun and learning, and we're pretty sure she'd enjoy it as much this year.

To rehash her skills and knowledge, I decided to give her 20-minute study sessions twice a week. We study the alphabet, phonics, do a little writing, painting, and other exercises. We had our first pre-summer session a week ago (we didn't have one this week since I had to attend to my father who was hospitalized), and our topic for the day was the Letter N and the number 1.


To complete the 'in-classroom' experience, I lined up some of her favorite stuffed toys to serve as her 'classmates', and her enthusiasm for our activity showed when she got her uniform (from when she went to daycare) to wear during our session.

I found that this kind of set-up was more enticing for K. Compared to the kind of arrangement we had before, where I was just mom giving her school work, K quite enjoyed the idea that she was going into an 'actual class' with classmates, a teacher, and in uniform. :)

She always forgets the letter N when we study the alphabet, so this was the first letter I decided to work on with her. I had her color, trace, and write the letter. And when I describe how N looks like, I say it like this standing line, slide down, climb up! and somehow, mas tumatatak sa memory nya. Pretty cool. I guess it's because that description gives the letter the element of fun, especially since she loves slides. Hehe.

I also taught her about the number 1, what it looks like, and what it means. She's got a good grasp of the concept of numbers so that wasn't too hard to explain to her. I also had her write her name on the 'worksheets' so she'd get used to doing that.

Summer classes start on April 15, and will be held four times a week. I still have two weeks for my one-on-one study sessions with K, and I plan to focus on other letters she's having a hard time with.

But of course, we also plan to enjoy the summer before she actually attends regular school, so I'm also plotting play scheds as well as swimming trips on our calendar. :)

Just another day in a WAHMmy's life. <3


No comments:

Post a Comment